Sunday, May 31, 2009

Rainbow Cake

Last weekend Alex and I decided to try a new recipe for a Rainbow cake, it seemed interesting. The end result was pretty, although it didn't ice very well b/c I made the icing a little too thick, so other than it crumbling when I iced it, it came out pretty nice.
We started with 2 white cake mixes and mixed it according to the box directions
Photobucket
We then separated it into six bowls(about 1 1/2 cups each I think)
Photobucket
We then dyed each bowl of batter a different color, we used plain dye, but it called for gel dye(gives stronger colors I think)
Photobucket
We then put the dyed batter into the cake pans. All you do is measure out some batter, put it in the middle of the round cake pan, then put the next color right on top. Don't spread anything, just continue to work through the colors, adding them to the top, the weight of the batter will force the layers of batter out all by itself:
Photobucket
Then we baked the cakes(yes it was 3 layers-should have probably done 2 since it was just The kids, Ed, and myself:
Photobucket
Iced--you use 2 tubs of coolwhip and 1 large pkg of vanilla instant pudding mix. I used 1.5 large pkgs and it was just a little too much and made the icing too hard to spread. You can also use regular icing, I think it would be really good with creamcheese icing. You don't have to dye the icing but we did.
Photobucket

No comments: