Saturday, April 24, 2010

Our Garden this week

Everything is growing so well!  I think the squash plants look the best--they are the ones that are the big leafy ones.  The bell peppers look really good too of course.  And then the tomatoes also look great--I have one that is potted, and then one in a topsy turvy, and the 3rd one is also upside down, but in a different type of hanging basket I got from walmart.  Thought I would try out different things to see what does the best.  I think I am not liking the walmart hanging basket near as much as the topsy turvy b/c it isn't near as deep as the topsy turvy, which equals less room for roots to grow.  Thinking about buying another Topsy Turvy to replace that one with, but not so sure how I would switch that plant out.  One tomato plants has a very small green tomato on it--but to be fair, I bought it that way :)  I am hoping everything will produce this year.  It is a lot funner than I anticipated, especially after all the hard work of setting it up is done.  I have NO clue when to expect the plants to start producing fruit and have tried to find some answers on the net, but have not come across anything too helpful.  We have red, green, and yellow bell peppers, cucumbers, squash, and 3 tomato plants.  I planted plenty of everything in hopes that something would produce, haha.  My end goal is to have enough for our family as well as to share with the rest of the family.  I'd especially love it if I could chop and freeze some bell peppers for fajitas later on and I'd also like to try to make and can our own spagetti sauce and salsa if we can get any/enough tomatoes.

A few pictures:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Tomato plant in a regular pot, this is the one that has the tiny green tomato on it
Photobucket
Topsy Turvy tomato:
Photobucket
Hanging basket, upside down tomato, that I want to put into another Topsy Turvy:
Photobucket

I'm going to take new pictures of the squash and bell peppers today and they have gotten even bigger than last weeks picture, but here is last weeks so you can compare to today's when I go out and get it.
Photobucket

No comments: