Friday, May 28, 2010

Garden-May 28, 2010

I took new pictures today.
Squash-was growing really well but I pulled out a few of the plants to give it all more room to grow and think that may not have been a good idea. They don't seem to be producing near as much now and not looking as pretty. We will see in a few weeks. There are 2 cucumber plants in with the squash plants and I think they may be taking over as they are doing really well, so that could be the problem, who knows!
Photobucket

Bell Pepper plants-I've been thinking about pruning a few of these out as well to make more room but am afraid to mess up a good thing. We have tons of bell peppers growing, although I'm afraid they may be too heavy for the plants so need to figure something out soon, as to whether I want to get some kind of support for them and even what the best thing would be to get:
Photobucket

Pumpkin plants--These just sprouted up. I am hoping that we have some nice, good sized pumpkins in time for Fall/Halloween:
Photobucket

Watermelon/cucumber--This is the biggest bed we have and it has been taken over very quickly! The watermelon vines are everywhere and I do believe they will be all over the yard soon enough :) I have about 1/2 cucumber plants and 1/2 watermelon plants in here. The watermelon plants have a few flowers on them already, hoping we get some good sized melons out of the plants before the growing season is over.
Photobucket

Tomato plants-we have a ton of tomatoes on the plants, 1 just started turning red, can't wait for the rest to finish ripening!
The topsy Turvy fell one day-it just wasn't strong enough to hold all that dirt/water where we had it hanging so it is gone. We still have the other upside down one but it doesn't seem to grow near as well as the ones we have in planters. It isn't near as leafy or have any offshoots like the other 2 do.

Here is the biggest tomato plant:
Photobucket
And the smaller one--I think we need to get a support for this one but I'm afraid we would damage the roots. This one hasn't grown near as tall as the other, wonder if it is b/c it is in a smaller bucket or what.
Photobucket

So that's the majority of our garden. One section of flowers died--I think I overwatered them, who knows. The other flowers are doing fairy well. I did decide to prune the lilies and that was apparantly not a good idea b/c now they have no flowers on them and haven't for over a month.

I now have a better idea of what we will do next year to have a better setup. I think we are definitely sticking with the watermelon and cucumber, going to still do the bell pepper plants but will do less of them-maybe 6-7 plants total, and 4-5 squash plants total. Edward wants me to do some carrots so I will look into that. I would really like to plant a few plant trees--mainly apple and pear but I don't have the patience to wait several years for them to produce, plus I am hoping to not live here in 5 yrs!

No comments: